In 1938, Hewitt High School, constructed by the government on Parkway Drive along with the formation of the Cahaba Project, was completed. The new high school housed the tenth through twelfth grades. One room on the south side of the building was used as a nursery and kindergarten for Cahaba Project residents.
The building remained the high school until December 1983, when high school students moved to the new high school on Trussville-Clay Road. The historic school building became Hewitt-Trussville Middle School and remained so until 2008.
The building was vacant for a number of years before undergoing renovations to open as Cahaba Elementary School in 2016.